Public Outreach and Media Coverage
In September 2020 I joined, am an expert member, the UNESCO Inclusive Policy Lab
I am collaborating with Bitter Suite (http://www.bittersuite.org.uk/) on a project , sponsored by the Cultural Institute at King's College (£4700). More info at: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/Cultural/-/Projects/Without-Touch.aspx
Together we BitterSuite we created a multi-sensory musical work in collaboration with people who experienced severe tactile deprivation in their daily lives. The piece engaged with the skin & bodies of an audience of 45 participants of different ethnicities and of mixed socio-cultural background. Each audience member, was blindfolded and then subjected to an intense audio, proprioceptive & tactile experience which conjured the sense of what it feels like to ‘long for touch’. This was aimed at provoking responses from the audience in finding out how touch helps us connect to people and the world around us. Without Touch was performed as part of the the Arts in Mind Festival in June 2018.
Without Touch was also reviewed in the Culture’s Arts in Mind Festival 2018
1. Essay on Prospect Magazine
2. Public Interview on Nationally Syndicated Program, Seeing Bodies with Sound', The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/blind-people-can-see-bodies-with-sound-study-24008\
· Reposted on Science Alert: http://www.sciencealert.com.au/features/20141203-25311-2.html
3. Public Interview on Nationally Syndicated Program, Images translated into sound for the
blind: Soundscaping for shapes.
4. Featured in the Research Spotlight of This Week (Macquarie University Magazine) : .
5. Video Interview for the Macquarie Excellence of Research Award 2014 - 'Foundations for a new theory of cultural learning': . I won the prize ($2000) for Excellence in Research: Social Sciences, Business, and Humanities.
6. Media Coverage, Research Award Winners 2014.